Pawna Lake camping is one of the best lakeside camping in Maharashtra. It is located at the backwaters of Pawna Lake, which is near to both major cities of Maharashtra,i.e., Mumbai and Pune. Pawna Lake is situated near the surreal green locations of Lonavala. Lonavala and Khandala are the most popular hill stations near Mumbai and Pune, so while camping at the lakeside, you can also visit these places. The lake is 120 kilometers away from Mumbai and 70 kilometers away from Pune. Other than camping there birdwatching will also be the main activity as there are 400 species of migratory birds, and local birds visit this lake. So while boating, you can easily spot those birds.
From the campsite, you will be amazed to see the surroundings which are due to the Western Ghats region. The Western Ghats region is recognized as a world heritage site by UNESCO as it is the biodiversity hotspot. If you have more time available, then you can also explore the nearby area by staying there one or two days more. In the night at the campsite, you will also enjoy stargazing and bonfire with barbeque. The Pawna Dam was built up in 1973, and its backwater is called Pawna Lake. The total area of Dam is stretched across 113.39 square kilometer area. It is also famous as a one-day family picnic spot. Other nearby tourist attractions are Lohagad, Tung, and Tikona. At Pawna Camping you can also enjoy adventure sports at the campsite.
How to Reach Pavana Lake
If you are planning from Mumbai, then you have to reach there via Lonavala, and if you are expecting from Pune, then via Kamshet, you can arrive at Pawna Lake. From both the cities, you can board on the private/government bus or hire a private tourist cab.
By Train from Pune
From Pune junction, you have to board on the train to Kamshet; then, as you reach there from outside the station, you can hire a jeep or reserve your seat in the sharing vehicle. It will cover 22 kilometers to reach Pawna Lake. The trains from Pune to Kamshet are every 45 minutes.
By Train from Mumbai
From Chatrapati Maharaj Shivaji Terminus, Mumbai, you can board on the train to Lonavala, then from by private or sharing jeep, you can reach Pawna Lake Camping. The distance between Lonavala and Pawna Lake is 16 Kilometres.
Day 1: Arrival at The Campsite
- Board on the train from Mumbai/Pune to reach Pawna Lake(Pavana Lake).
- Reach till 4 PM, after arrival check-in at the campsite.
- After some rest, spend your quality time to explore the surroundings and experience the fantastic views.
- In the evening, enjoy the bonfire with music and share your experiences with your friends and trip mates. Have fun as much as you can with your friends and make your evening remarkable at Pawna Lake.
- Enjoy a mouth-watering dinner prepared by the local cook after enjoying the evening.
- Retire to your tent for a good sleep under the sky near a beautiful lakeside.
Day 2: Check-Out from The Campsite
- Wake-up early in the morning and experience the sunrise.
Best Time to Visit Pawna Camping
Throughout the year is the best time to visit Pawna Lake Camping. However, the best time to visit is the season of monsoon. During monsoon, the surroundings become surreal green, and flora remains on the bloom. Another best time to visit is from October to March when the weather remains moderate. In the months of summer, the climate remains dry and humid, which will not be suitable for camping.
Things to Carry for Pawna Lakeside Camping
- Comfortable Sports Shoes
- Pair of Cotton Socks
- Pair of T-Shirt
- Pair of Sports Pant
- Pair of Bedsheets
- Sunscreen Lotion
- Mosquito Repellent Lotion
- Water Bottle
- Extra Batteries for Camera
- LED Flashlight
- Extra Batteries for flashlight
- Medicine Kit
- First Aid Kit
- Energy Drink
- Dry Snacks
- Identity Proof
- Permit/License for Camping
Some Points to Remember
- Take care of Kids if you are walking near water bodies or while boating.
- Do not carry any valuable jewelry and gadgets.
- If there is an issue with other people there, then try to solve the problem gently.
- Do not throw any garbage here and there or in water bodies.
- Show some responsible behavior toward nature.
It is all about Pawna Lakeside Camping.