With new products constantly hitting the market and an endless stream of skin care advice from doctors, friends, and social media, it can be hard to figure out your ideal skincare routine. But no matter who you are or what kind of skin you have, you need to be sure and develop a routine that works for you. And before you start shelling out tons of money that you don’t need to spend, try these 10 skin care tips that dermatologists swear by!
10 Best Skin Care Tips – All Approved by Dermatologists
Choose the Right Cleanser
If you have oily or acne-prone skin, you should try a salicylic gel or benzoyl peroxide wash. For drier, mature skin, a moisturizing glycolic or milky cleanser would work best. And for skin with brown spots or melasma, a brightening wash, such as an alpha hydroxy acid cleanser, would be an excellent option. You can also speak to your dermatologist if you aren’t sure what type of skin you have.
- Avoid Excessive Product Use– When you layer multiple products at once, you’re increasing your chances of clogged pores, acne, and excessive oil production. Every dermatologist you speak to will tell you to never pile on the products!
- Moisturize Day and Night – The best time for you to moisturize your skin is right after you step out of the shower and right before you go to bed. Now, if you shower at night-time, you must only moisturize then. You should avoid lotions that have heavy fragrances and make sure the moisturizer is gentle enough that it won’t irritate your skin.
- Don’t Touch Your Face – While it may seem difficult at first, you need to avoid touching your face throughout the day. Not only does it make spreading bacteria easy, but it can also lead to more breakouts, scarring, an increased number of wrinkles, and viruses.
- Stay Hydrated – Keeping yourself hydrated throughout the day is another big tip you should be following. Not only should you be drinking 8 glasses of water each day, but you should be choosing products that use hydrating formulas.
- Avoid Direct Sun Exposure – Not only should you be avoiding too much sun exposure, but you also need to avoid getting too close to heaters and fireplaces. This heat exposure can lead to inflammation and a collagen breakdown in the skin.
- Exfoliate Weekly – Fun fact of the day – you lose 50 million skin cells each day. Wow! Because of this, if you aren’t exfoliating your skin, those dead cells could hang around and cause your skin to look sullen. And we aren’t just talking about your face either, you need to exfoliate your whole body several times throughout a week!
- Take Your Vitamins – Just Like Mama Said – In addition to having a balanced diet to follow, you can also get your vitamins from topical antioxidants such as serums and creams. The best time to apply these products is right after you’ve cleansed your skin so it can soak them in.
- Get Your Greens In – We understand how difficult it can be to wake up and not immediately turn to your coffee pot, but choosing the right beverage after you wake up is important. A shot of chlorophyll in the mornings can help to brighten, hydrate, and oxygenate your skin. And if you aren’t too keen on taking a shot of it, you can easily find chlorophyll supplements at your health food store or drugstore.
Maintain a Healthy, Balanced Diet
Not only should you be maintaining a healthy diet of greens, proteins, carbs, and everything in between, but you should also be getting your fair share of omega-3 fatty acid. Whether you add a few walnuts or flax seeds to your salad, boosting your omega-3 fatty acid intake will help your skin hold onto moisture.
Hydrate inside and out
Every skin care expert we spoke to emphasize the importance of hydration. Choose products like (cleansing, moisturizing, and anti-aging) that have hydrating formulas. And, of course, drink around eight glasses of water a day.
Avoid direct heat exposure
Don’t just watch out for the sun — getting too close to heaters and fireplaces can also wreak havoc on your skin. “It causes inflammation and collagen breakdown. I recommend staying at least ten feet away,”. So next time you’re roasting chestnuts or s’mores over an open fire, take a step back.
Find Your Perfect Routine with Winston Salem Dermatology Today
Trying to figure out which skincare routine can really give you the results you need and want can be difficult, especially with so many options out there. But by taking these tips listed above and taking advantage of them, you can have peace of mind knowing your skincare will look and feel great for years to come! Our dermatologists will be more than happy to assist you if you’d like, just reach out to them today at +1 (336) 774-8636.