Do you suffer from the problem of bad breath? If yes, then this is a common problem faced by many people. Also called halitosis, bad breath had been considered to be the third-worst smell in Britain in a survey conducted in 2013. Having bad breath is not something you should ignore as it might be an indication of underlying health problems. Let us take a look at what causes bad breath and how you can overcome it.
- Improper diet – Whatever you eat and drink has a great impact on your breath. Certain foods can be the reason of bad breath and some dietary products may help to neutralize the problem of odours. It is suggested to consult with your emergency dentist in London and know the right kind of foods to take for your improved health.
- Dehydrating food – Some foods and drinks may cause dehydration to the mouth. Tea, coffee and alcohol all belong to this category. Saliva is the key in washing away “bad” bacteria inside your mouth when the mouth dries out and the production of saliva slows down, the bacteria that causes bad breath thrives and multiplies.
- Smelly food items – Certain foods have a strong odour and adding garlic to every meal is a common cause for bad breath. Other probable problems include – diets that have a high amount of protein, acidic foods and a diet rich in sugar. The bacteria that usually exist in the mouth may feed on these foods thus, turning good food to foul smells.
- Improper dental hygiene – Bad breath is usually due to the accumulation of bacteria inside your mouth and this often leads to ineffective dental health and hygiene. This does not always mean skip brushing for a day, not applying proper techniques or neglecting certain parts of your mouth to accumulate bacteria over time. If you want to maintain good oral health, then it is necessary to brush twice a day with fluoride toothpaste and floss daily.
Maintaining a good oral hygiene routine includes what you should not do. This means you don’t rinse immediately after brushing as this may be the reason to work against the benefit of having Fluoride toothpaste and not brushing your teeth very hard. Read to know some mistakes you must be making while brushing teeth.
- Not keeping your mouth hydrated – The best thing you can do for improving your oral health during the day is to keep your mouth hydrated. Carry a water bottle whenever you go out so that you can drink anytime and chew sugar-free gum to stimulate the production of saliva. These two tips will allow you to maintain the levels of saliva which is the best defence to bad health.
- Say no to smoking – Smoking is the major reason for your bad breath. It will not only dry out your mouth by causing bad breath but the chemicals present in the nicotine may also contribute to foul smell. Smoking might cause the stain to the tongue which is said to be a “furry” tongue thus, leading to the problem of bad breath. Even worse, many people who smoke do not know about their bad breath as excessive smoking may cause the individual to lose their sense of smell.
- Underlying health concerns – In the UK, most adults suffer from gum disease at some point in their life. This can probably be the treatable gingivitis than periodontitis which is the reason for bone erosion. Some unresolved concerns such as tooth decay, gum disease or adult teeth might be the reason for bad breath. Thus, whether you are trying to focus on the cause or the impact, there is an issue that requires instant treatment. If bad breath is due to a serious dental problem, then brushing and flossing help to overcome it.
- Inappropriate dieting – If you are recently on a strict diet and noticed the problem of bad breath, then it is extremely important to take the necessary steps and solve it. When you follow inappropriate dieting, then this may force your body to produce energy in different ways. Crash dieting is not at all healthy and should be avoided due to several reasons that have a bad impact on your oral health.
- Certain medications – There are some medications such as – antihistamines, antidepressants, decongestants, diuretics, the contraceptive pill and certain vitamin supplements that may change the way how your mouth and body deals with bacteria. This may indicate there is an increased risk of gum disease which, in turn, can be the reason for your bad breath.
- Present medical conditions – Certain medical conditions related to your mouth and throat can have a bad impact on your breath. Someone who suffers from tonsillitis would have higher chances of suffering from bad due to the accumulation of bacteria. If bad breath is associated with some medical condition, then it is advisable to check whether it will persist after the condition gets treated. In certain instances, it will be quite easy to detect the cause of your bad breath however, there are situations when you require the help of a dental professional to diagnose the exact cause of your problem and then provide with proper advice and treatment.
Though you will find different ways to try and minimize the problem of bad breath, there are many possible causes and diagnosing the exact reason behind it cannot be properly done at home. Even when you follow a good diet chart and effective oral hygiene, it won’t improve your breath problem and so, you need to see a dentist soon.
He will be able to evaluate your overall oral health with respect to your lifestyle and provide a customized treatment plan to get you on your way for improving the problem of bad breath. Furthermore, if you have any concerns related to your dental health condition, feel free to visit the emergency dentist at our clinic, Emergency Dentist in London and try to get them solved as soon as possible.