Scrap metals are one of the most popular land pollutants on the planet. And by the planet, we mean just that ─ the entire planet. This means they are a problem that affects every part of the world, Sutherland Shire included.
With this being a global problem, we all as humans need to do our part to fix this problem. To help achieve this, we have put together a guide to help residents of Sutherland Shire properly take care of scrap metal Sutherland Shire and by so doing make the community, and the world, a better place.
How to Fix the Scrap Metal Problem
So here is the first big question: what to do to fix the scrap metal problem? After all, they are almost everywhere, they are non-biodegradable (can not be decomposed naturally to avoid pollution), and are essentially useless.
While the above statements are valid for the most part (except for the last one), below are things you can do to help fix the scrap metal problem.
- Don’t Add to It
Exactly, just don’t add to that pile you have lying around your backyard. Think about other methods of disposal. A very good one is reusing the metals or recycling them. Go online, find out life hacks you can create using the scrap metal Sutherland Shire. Get creative. And don’t forget to have fun while doing it. If you prefer recycling your scrap, then make sure you get reliable agents while at it.
- Start Thinking Reuse Over Trashing
A lot of people confuse reusing scrap metal with recycling them. Reusing them simply means giving those ugly little metal objects a new purpose. Did you know you could turn a tin can into a grater? Awesome right? A lot of materials with potential uses rusting away in your backyard or store just isn’t fair to the metal as well as mother earth don’t you think?
- Join the Recycling Effort
You should always put recycling above disposal. If you can’t figure out what to make out of your scrap metal Sutherland Shire, then recycling is always the next best option. Connect with the right agents, ask questions on how to make the most money out of recycling and help mother earth by reducing oceanic deposits in your small way. You’ll be rewarded.
- Tell people about reuse/recycling
Never stop telling your people about how beneficial reuse/recycling is to the environment. You don’t have to force it on them. All you need to do is use whatever medium you have (social media or a website) to inform people about reuse. You never know how many people you could convince with your inner voice.
Tips for Dealing With Scrap Metals
- Avoid using products that come in disposable cans whenever possible.
- Reuse as much as possible
- Contact recycling agencies now and then.
- Separate your materials properly (you don’t want a mix up).
- Keep a magnet in your pocket. You never know when you may come across a valuable metal on a trip around your compound.
- Know the worth of each scrap metal (ferrous ones cost way less than non-ferrous ones).
- Learn tricks to easy identification of any scrap metal. You never know when you might hit some high-quality copper (costs about $3.91(AUD) per pound).
- Always bring a first aid kit on the hunt for scrap metals. If there’s one thing you can’t avoid, it’s coming in contact with sharp edges and corners (you’re dealing with metal here). So always go prepared.
- Have the right equipment for the job (don’t worry, they’re going to be listed in this blog as well).
- Be mindful of theives. There are always people lurking in the shadows ready to pounce on your hard earned metal. Be very careful of them. Mark your own materials for easy identification.
- Check out these hotspots for scrap material.
- Apartment complexes.
- Business hubs (ones in your locality though).
- Construction sites – this is one of the best spots to check out.
- Auto repair shops.
- Your backyard/compound (even your trash bags shouldn’t be left).
Now that you’ve been exposed to eleven tricks to have up your sleeve while dealing with scrap metal Sutherland Shire, let’s go onto the tools you need to properly collect scrap metal.
- A magnet for sorting
Ferrous metals like steel and iron are attracted stronly to a magnet. And you need to separate the ferrous ones from the non-ferrous ones. Having a magnet with you at all times does the job for you.
- Containers for sorting
Having a container for each metal type you’re likely to find in the scrap pile help ease up your work for you. When going on a hunt for scrap metal Sutherland Shire, you’re likely to find any of these metals there.
Mixing metals like aluminum and copper in one container spells out a loss for you as your recycling agents tends to pay you per pound of aluminum instead of copper.
- Protective clothing
Cranking up a pair of jean shorts, a tank top and some flip flops is never the best idea when going on a hunt for scrap metal. With so many accidents likely to happen, you’d want to cover as much skin as you can.
- A first aid kit
Always remember, safety first. Keep a well equipped first aid kit at arms length so you rid yourself of excessive blood loss in severe situations.
Ensure you stay updated and well informed on issues regarding scrap metal so you don’t get into the hands of con men. Also, you could bring your commnunity together by organizing a joint scrap metal hunt every month. Let’s save Sutherland Shire as a community.