Home improvement is not an easy task. One has to constantly upgrade or maintain the pre-existing structures on a daily basis. Cleaning, repairing, or regular maintenance comes under the same category.
Carpets are used extensively everywhere, whether it’s commercial or residential setups. Carpets bring in comfort and class to any layout. They come in different colors and materials and one has to select them carefully.
Being one of the widely used flooring options, you must take proper care of them. You just can’t sit back and relax after placing your carpet. Being part of the flooring, it encounters high foot traffic. Due to this reason chances of catching dirt, allergens, and mites increase. Thus, it needs regular maintenance and cleaning.
And in the present scenario of Covid-19 hovering all around the world, you just can’t ignore the cleaning part. You can either hire the services of professional carpet cleaners for their expertise in cleaning carpets. Or you can do it on your own. But in any case, you need to have some knowledge about the dynamics of cleaning and maintaining your carpets.
So, we have covered some points which will provide you with insight into the carpet cleaning process. This information will simplify the whole carpet cleaning process and you will end having a great deal of knowledge.
Carpet Cleaning Methods
It is better to know the methods involved with carpet cleaning. Not all the carpets are cleaned using the same approach. In fact, carpets are cleaned according to their type. Now, cleanser for each type is different, and using the wrong approach can ruin its texture and cause damage.
The following list of carpet cleaning methods will help you in gaining some knowledge about its cleaning process.
- Carpet Shampooing Method
Crowned as one of the less effective methods, carpet shampooing can be used for a different purpose. The process for carpet shampooing is simple. One has to apply a special detergent on the surface of the carpet and then the machine is used to stir the surface. Once done, a special vacuum is hovered throughout the surface to extract the dirt absorbed detergent from its surface.
The result will be an appealing and fragrant carpet. The only drawback to this approach is that it fails to clean the dirt stuck deep inside the carpet. So, if your only aim is to make them look pretty and shining for some party this is the best approach. Although, you can’t perform this method on your own and this is where professional cleaners come in. But if you are concerned about health purposes, then this method is not advisable.
- Dry Cleaning Method
This method is one of the most recommended methods for cleaning the carpet. As the name suggests it cleans the carpet surface in a way that it dries faster. Hence, there is zero downtime and the surface is ready to use immediately after the process. This method can be performed by anyone; you just need the powder and vacuum machine. In this process, a specially made cleaning powder is applied all over its surface.
This powder starts attracting dirt and attaches itself to it. It is then put there like it for a particular period of time. Once that period is complete, the entire surface is vacuumed and thoroughly cleaned. The powder removes the dirt from the carpet surface while it is getting sucked inside the vacuum machine. The carpet cleaning professional also uses oxygenated cleanser to remove the dirt from its base.
- Foam Method
If you are looking for a method that can give shine and dries up fast, then the foam method is best for you. Foam method of carpet cleaning combines the best of two worlds. It is a combination of shampoo and dry cleaning methods. In this method, you need a little shampoo followed by a dry cleaning method. Foam is created with the help of shampoo and little water.
This foam catches the dirt from the carpet in the same way as the powder used in the dry cleaning method. This method of carpet cleaning negates the limitations of dry cleaning and shampoo method. While vacuuming the foam along with dirt is sucked back in. Foam method of carpet cleaning is best suited for carpets made of tough material. It is easy to create foam and later vacuum them from such surface.
- Steam Based Carpet Cleaning
This method of carpet cleaning is one of the widely used as it can be used on all carpets. The process of steam-based carpet cleaning is easy and thus used extensively. As steam is used to clean carpets, it uses a large amount of water. If the water sips deep inside the carpet, it can cause damage to carpet pads and you might replace the carpet.
But if this method is performed by experts it can be effective. You need to keep in mind that you have to limit the frequency of steam-based cleaning. The equipment used for producing steam along with the cleanser solution can only be performed by professionals. The machine throws high pressured steam and at the same moment, it sucks in the steam from the carpet. During this process, all the dirt comes out of the carpet. You have to wait for a while before the carpet dries up.
- Bonnet Carpet Cleaning
The above-mentioned methods can be used for both residential and commercial buildings. But, the bonnet carpet cleaning method is majorly used in commercial buildings. It is not one of the reliable sources for any extensive cleaning project. But for a commercial building with high foot traffic, it serves the purpose just fine.
It uses a simple process and keeps the carpet clean and free from any bad odor. There is a high chance of dirt remnants present inside the surface. But in busy places like any commercial setup, bonnet carpet cleaning serves the purpose. Its process includes the application of chemical detergent on the carpet and a machine with absorbent pads works in sync to clean the carpet.
The above-mentioned carpet cleaning methods are not the same and each one of them serves a different purpose. Select the one which fits in your criteria.
The following are some tips which you can perform to increase the longevity of your carpet.
Tips for Maintaining your Carpet:
- Vacuuming: This is one of the best ways to maintain your carpet. Vacuuming the carpet surface on a daily basis prevents it from accumulating dirt or grime on its surface. It helps in removing the dust resulting in good quality indoor air.
- Using Doormats and Rugs: You might be confused with this tip. But, placing a rug or doormat over a carpet is the best way to increase the longevity of carpets. Strategically placed mats on the entry points help to clean the dirt off your shoes, helping to clean the carpet surface.
- Taking your Shoes Off: You can make a rule in your home that while stepping on to the carpet, one must take their shoes off. It helps to keep the surface clean and protects it from excessive wear and tire.
- Cleaning the Spill: Never take any spillage lightly. Whenever you or your family member spills something on the carpet, clean it immediately. Prolonging such actions can cause permanent stains on its surface. And it helps in preventing any bacteria from growing on its surface.
- Cutting Loose Strands: Always cut all the loose strands coming out of your carpet. Those strands can extend and can eventually lead to a bigger tear. Also, keep an eye on any minor tear on the surface and get it fixed.
- Invest in Stain Resistance Carpets: You can easily find stain resistance carpets from the market. This specially made carpet prevent any stains from happening on its surface. Even you can buy certain products which can be applied to normal carpets. It creates a stain-resistant layer on its surface.
- Professional Help: Your carpet needs professional care and the best way to do so is to hire the services of professional carpet cleaners once a year. They are experts in what they do and can clean your carpets thoroughly.
Your work is not finished by buying a carpet, you have to maintain it as well. A properly cleaned carpet is a must in our home as well in a commercial environment such as medical care facilities is important. Maintaining cleanliness is a must in medical care facilities and carpets on such places need to be properly cleaned.